Sunday, August 29, 2010

Blackbird Singing

'Thump!' I looked towards where I heard the thump come from. A large black bird lay looking dazed on the cold concrete outside the big glass door. It shuddered a few times and lay still. Death is not my favourite thing and I was concerned that the bird would be dead and I would have to do something with its body... or worse that the bird was dying... or vulnerable to a cat attack. I didn't fancy having to lift up its corpse of a body and put it in the bin. I'm not at all certain that I would be brave enough to do that. I'd have needed to work up some courage first.

Anyway, I just hoped it was dazed and nothing was broken. I gingerly snuck closer to have a better look. It was lying on its side with its orange beak open and breathing super fast. First hurdle - it was alive. 10 minutes later it sat up. I had a drama unfolding in front of me, which I didn't know the outcome of.

Not being able to watch constantly due to having to get ready for school, I couldn't resist going back for frequent peaks. On one of my glimpses, there was another blackbird, who I could only think of as the husband or wife of the dazed bird. It was about 1/2 a metre away, hopping about and looking around in all directions as if protecting its mate. When I went closer, it flew up into the air and then settled on top of a nearby fence. It certainly wasn't leaving.

I'm interested to know how it could possibly have known it was there. Had it been calling out? Had it just been flying around looking for it? Who knows?

It was time to leave for school and the two birds were still in position. I wondered what I'd find when I got home. I took off, but turned back when I realised I hadn't locked the front door!

The first thing I saw was an empty space where the birds had been.

No comments:

Post a Comment